Want to be a Contributor?

WANT TO BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO GOURMET DIY SHANGHAI?
Send an email to Heather at gourmetdiyshanghai@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to be a coauthor.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Chickpeas soup


1 can of chickpeas
1-2 carrots
2 stalk of western celery (can be substitute with chinese celery)
1 onion
2-3 spoons extra virgin olive oil
water or stock (I normally use water)

I use extra virgin olive oil because I love it and my mum used to say that in a simple recipe the quality of the ingredients has a big impact on the result. Sometimes I have no time after a day outside in the playground and I use a mix of celery, carrot, onion that I have ready in the freezer. Of course fresh vegetable are best but frozen from fresh vegetable chopped works too.
Chickpeas from a can are quick and already cooked just be sure to rinse with water before using it. If you have time buy dry chickpeas (cityshop normally has) soak in water overnight and cook till tender in water with salt (from 1 to 2 hours or 40 minutes in pressure cooker).
Chop celery, carrots, onion and cook till tender with olive oil.
This recipe helped me to go trough my first diet ever. Diet lasted 3 days without bread and all those yummy carbohydrates and than I decided I love food to much to keep doing it. I really like chickpeas and will post others recipes with them. Here is today's soup, perfect for a rainy day and good for the kids too.



Chop onion, celery and carrots and cook them with olive oil till tender.
Add the chickpeas after rinsed. Stir and let it cook for a minute.
Add water or stock, how much? It depends if you like the soup more liquid or more dense like a cream. I add (as in the picture) just a little because I wanted a cream.
Cook for 20 minutes.
Blend and serve. A piece of garlic bread go perfectly together and pepper grounded on top add more intensity.
Happy rainy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Alterations?