Want to be a Contributor?

WANT TO BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO GOURMET DIY SHANGHAI?
Send an email to Heather at gourmetdiyshanghai@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to be a coauthor.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips

If you've lived here in Shanghai awhile chances are that you have heard of the Avocado Lady. She is a Chinese lady that has a little "no frills" shop in the Former French Concession where, among other imported things, she sells avocados and corn and flour tortillas.

When I was preparing to come to Shanghai I heard from a friend(who had lived here close to ten years ago) that you couldn't get corn chips or corn tortillas here, so I actually packed a bag of masa de harina in one of my suitcases so I could make corn tortillas and corn tortilla chips. And while I quickly discovered that times had changed since that friend lived here and that I could buy corn tortilla chips(albeit for a small fortune), I did in fact put that masa to good use and laboriously made fresh corn tortillas and tortilla chips.

Needless to say I was seriously grateful the day my husband came home from a little trip to the Avocado Lady with a huge bag of about 50 corn tortillas for only 28RMB. I'm not sure what the going rate is here for a bag of tortilla chips but I can tell you that you will get a whole lot more than a bag with half of one of these bags of corn tortillas cut into wedges.

This is one DIY secret that is too good to keep to myself, even if it does mean that the next time I go to buy corn tortillas the Avocado Lady will be out of them! This is so easy to do and you will be surprised at how quickly you can turn out fresh corn tortilla chips!

Ingredients:
Corn Tortillas
Corn Oil
Salt

Directions:

*Here is the bag of corn tortillas so you can see what it looks like- I usually use 1/4- 1/3 of a bag at a time. Make sure you refrigerate or freeze the remaining tortillas or they will go moldy after they have been opened.
Using a sharp chef's knife, cut stack of tortillas into six wedges.

Add about 1 inch of oil to your wok. Heat oil over medium heat until hot.

















Add corn tortilla wedges and fry until they are crisp and inflexible. You want to cook them just until they get firm, but not too toasted.

Stir with a slotted spoon, so that they cook evenly.





Using a slotted metal spoon or strainer, remove chips from oil and drain on paper towels.
 
Place in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt to taste. (Careful not to add too much salt- amount depends on how many tortilla chips you decide to make that day!)
Yum! (Not many left at this point!) Serve all the ones that you didn't consume for a taste test with guacamole and fresh salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Alterations?